Menu

SAFETY/SANITATION FORUM for Members to discuss

<< First  < Prev   1   2   Next >  Last >> 
  • 04 Dec 2023 12:06 PM
    Reply # 13286841 on 12685726

We have been having issues with people sleeping on our porch at night.  We have tried calling the NOPD non-emergency phone number but never could get in touch with a person. We on in the 5200 block, between Napoleon and Jefferson. I am reaching out for suggestions and resources to deal with the homeless issue. Thank you.

• 05 Sep 2023 3:44 PM
    Reply # 13250458 on 12685726
    Anonymous

Fellow Member Hemline - 3310 Magazine St wishes to report a theft that took place Sunday, 9/3/23. They sent the attached photos.

Please contact Ashley Weilenman at Hemline for more details, aw@shophemline.com

1 file
  • 25 May 2023 6:09 PM
    Reply # 13206810 on 12685726
    Anonymous

Here is the updated Safety & Sanitation Important Contacts.

Members may publish posts on this Forum or send MSMA issues they wish to share with fellow Members. Your MSMA community could help you find solutions

1 file
    Last modified: 25 May 2023 6:11 PM | Anonymous
  • 07 Mar 2023 11:59 AM
    Reply # 13122894 on 12685726
    Anonymous

Message from fellow Member, Miss Claudia

On Mon, Mar 6, 2023 at 3:03 PM claudia baumgarten <missclaudia2@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sunday a man attempted to steal some items from Miss Claudia's.

He didn't get away with the items and the bag he had with him broke, dropping loads of quarters in the street and a Donate to a rescue dog sign.  We'd like to return the quarters to the store from which they were taken.

If anyone reports a theft, please let me know.

If not, we'll donate them. 

Thanks

Claudia

Miss Claudia's Vintage 

• 15 May 2022 2:38 PM
    Reply # 12781064 on 12685726

To respond to Vintage Green Review, yes, he's come to my shop 3x now. Once last week where he came inside and spoke to me - nonthreatening but with a crazed smile and sort of incoherent questions (do you get a lot of lawyers in here? Can you tell me what song is playing right now?). Once last night after I'd locked up after the Champagne Stroll (he waved at me through the window), and once this morning at 11:45am (he waved through the window and looked like he was trying to sell me a speaker). I've also seen him approach a car full of women and curse them out. White male, approx 5'8" tall, scruffy brown beard and hair. Once he was shirtless, clutching a tee, boxers and long shorts hanging off his butt. Yesterday he had a black and white striped teeshirt on. General sense that he is unclean, and facial/body movements imply mental instability. 

After the crime & safety Zoom/in person meeting the other week, was MSMA able to get in touch with the CBD group that monitors the mentally unwell unhoused population there and see if they or another group service our area? I am unqualified to deescalate a situation alone with someone like this. 

• 15 May 2022 1:34 PM
    Reply # 12781015 on 12685726
    Anonymous

Hate to have to post this... but someone defecated on my doormat on the porch in front of my shop this morning. We believe he also did that in front of Red Dog today as well? I did not see him but he was trying to get Dark Garden to let him inside their shop before opening hours and we believe he walked over to my side of the porch and did this after not being allowed inside, around 11:45am. Dark Garden has a better description but youngish, no shirt, sagging pants, white guy with scruffy face. Not sure if it was the same man who wore the leather jacket and was harassign Slim Goodies. Walks around with a creepy smile/ laugh, cursing and shouting. Working on installing exterior cameras as well.

• 04 Apr 2022 11:50 AM
    Reply # 12693546 on 12685726
    Anonymous

Initiative from the Garden District Security District for a camera program with alert to GDSD patrol. The GDSD limits are Louisiana Ave/Jackson Ave & Carondelet St/Magazine St.

New Neighborhood Camera Program

The GDSD is excited to launch a crime prevention camera program for the Garden District. This program differs from any others we have seen in that it provides real time alerts to the patrol when an incident within the camera’s field of view is detected.  This will provide a more effective use of the patrol by directing their officers in real time to events throughout the District. 

We have partnered with Active Solutions and Verkada, recognized world-wide for having one of the highest resolution cameras equipped with their advanced cloud-based image analysis software. We have worked with them during our pilot program over the past few months to develop several trigger data points which will send alerts to our patrol based on what happens at certain times of the day and night.  If enough cameras are strategically placed throughout the district, our hope is that crimes can be prevented on the front end rather than just investigated on the back end.  The recorded video footage will be made available to law enforcement in prosecuting crimes that are caught on camera.  

We encourage you to participate. Neighbors who choose to participate will be responsible for the cost of the camera sand installation ($2,000 each) and must provide electricity and internet services. The GDSD will cover the cost of the cloud storage hosting and the ten-year maintenance agreement and monitoring fees ($1725 per camera). Your total cost per month for one camera over the ten-year expected lifespan comes to $16.67. When you choose to participate, you will have access to your camera and all alerts via your smart phone or computer. Additional cameras may be purchased for your own use and you can decide whether or not they will be monitored by this program as well. Only cameras facing the street or public areas will be accessible by the patrols.

Once you decide to move forward and join this program, please reach out to Brad Giacone at the contact email below to set up your personal site visit and camera purchase. He can also answer any questions you might have.

NeighborhoodWatchCam@ActiveSolutionsUSA.com

Please reference “GDSD” in the subject line of your email. Please include:

Name / Full Address/ Best Phone Contact

To reach a patrol officer anytime, day or night

please call

504-899-4373

For emergencies, please call

Stay vigilant. Stay safe!

Garden District Security District

Administrative Office: (504) 525-7911

Dispatch for Patrol: (504) 934-1411

www.gdsdpatrol.org

gdsdpatrol@bellsouth.net

• 30 Mar 2022 7:47 PM
    Reply # 12688143 on 12685726
    Anonymous

This was not shoplifting but attempted local business theft everyone should be aware of nonetheless:

I had a check I wrote to Entergy with the bill stolen out of the blue post office mailbox in front of the Louisiana Avenue post office. The thief rewrote the check in the amount of $20,000 and attempted to deposit it. The bank did not flag it as suspicious and only charged me a return check fee until I saw & inquired about it. Thankfully I didn’t have that much in there at the time but if I had, it would’ve been worse

The post office rep said they believe an employee may hr selling key copies to the boxes, and then using nail polish remover to remove the ink.

TLDR, I rarely write checks but this caused a HUGE headache at the minimum. USPS rep said to always bring any mail directly inside. I guess it’s been on the news but I missed it.

• 30 Mar 2022 6:41 PM
    Reply # 12688106 on 12685726
    Anonymous

Important numbers - Please save the attached document providing you with contact information for essential crime/safety reporting resources.

1 file
  • 29 Mar 2022 1:45 PM
    Reply # 12685752 on 12685726
    Anonymous

Fellow Member, Monomin (Rachel Hall Taravella), began a Facebook group to tackle theft on Magazine Street that resulted in the police apprehending the culprit!

... Specific facebook group that's private called "PROTECT MAGAZINE" with the two detectives on the case being members - this way they can see crime posts in real time and build evidence in cases.

... In reference to the thief that attacked dozens of shops on magazine, we were able to work together with detectives and apprehend her - so good news she is currently in custody!

<< First  < Prev   1   2   Next >  Last >>